english  Ĩesky 

Advanced search

Schengen visas (up to 90 days)

Schengen (short-term) visas, i.e. visas for stay up to 90 days and airport transit visas can be issued at the Consulate General of the Czech Republic in Hong Kong,


Appointment for visa application

Appointment for visa application must be made in advance (see Schengen Visa Appointment).  Applicants without appointment will not be entertained.

For visa inquiries, please contact us  through email: hongkong.consulate@mzv.gov.cz


The Czech Republic as the main destination

The Consulate General of the Czech Republic accepts visa applications only if the Czech Republic is the country of your main destination (depends on length and purpose of your stay). If you are going for tourism, the main country of your destination is the one where you spend the longest time, not necessarily the country of your first entry! Only if the main destination cannot be determined (i.e. you spend the same number of nights in all countries), you should submit your application at the Consulate General of the country of your first entry. If you are unsure where to apply, please contact us beforehand.

As from 12 October 2015, all applicants for a Schengen visa at the Consulate General of the Czech Republic in Hong Kong are required to provide their biometric data (10 fingerprints and a digital photograph) when applying. For further information, please see this article.


visa Schengen


List of states whose citizens are required to have a visa

List of states whose citizens are exempt from the visa requirement

Schengen Information System -A Guide for Exercising the Right of Access


Types of Visas

(A) Uniform Schengen Visa

(B) Schengen Visa with Limited Territorial Validity

(C) Airport Transit Visa


Uniform Schengen Visa

A uniform Schengen visa issued by a Schengen country allows free travel within the Schengen Area. The Schengen countries are: Austria, Belgium, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Liechtenstein, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden and Switzerland. The maximum period of stay allowed is 90 days in any 180 days period from the date of the first entry in the territory of the Member States, with one, two or multiple entries.

Schengen Visa with Limited Territorial Validity

This type of Schengen visa is valid for the territory of one or more Member States but not all Schengen States. This type of visa is issued only in exceptional cases.

Airport Transit Visa

The Chicago Convention on International Civil Aviation establishes the principle of free transit through the international transit areas of the airports. However, there are some exemptions to this principle and nationals of several countries need an airport transit visa to transit through the international transit areas of the Schengen Area airports. Citizens of several other countries need an airport transit visa only in some Schengen countries, so they are recommended to contact the Consulate General of the relevant Schengen country.

The list of countries  whose nationals are required to hold an airport transit visa can be found here. 


Following categories of persons are exempted from the requirement to have an airport transit visa:

  • holders of  valid Schengen visas
  • holders of long-term visas or long-term residence permits
  • holders of residence permits in Andorra, Canada, Japan, San Marino and the United States
  • holders of visas for stay in the states of the EEA and in Canada, Japan and the United States
  • family members of EU citizens
  • holders of diplomatic passports
  • crew members who are citizens of States Parties of the ICAO

Airport transit visa is issued for one or two entries. It can be issued for a maximum  of six months.

Airport Transit Visa Application Requirements:

  • Passport
  • Application form
  • Photo
  • Biometric data (fingerprints)
  • Supporting documents on
    • - onward journey to the final destination after the intended airport transit
    • - intention not to enter the territory of the Member States of the Schengen Area




Hong Kong and Macau Citizens

Holders of Hong Kong, BN(O) and Macao passports are entitled to a visa-free entry to Schengen countries lasting no more than 90 days in any six-month period from the date of first entry in the territory of the Member States.


Holders of Hong Kong Document of Identity (HKDI) and the Macao Travel Permit are required to apply for a Schengen visa.

Both the Hong Kong Document of Identity (HKDI) and the Macao Travel Document are recognised by all Schengen countries. The holders of such documents, however, need to apply for a Schengen visa.


Processing Time

In general, visa-processing procedures takes 2 weeks. Due to possible delays in processing individual visa applications, it is recommended that you lodge your application not later than 1 month before the date of your planned departure and not earlier than 3 months.



The current fee for a short-term Schengen visa is EUR 80 (EUR 40 for children from the age of 6 years and below the age of 12 years), payable in HKD and must be settled upon application. Fees are non-refundable. Payment must be made in cash.


The visa fee may be waived for applicants belonging to one of the following categories:

a) Children under six years

b) School pupils, students, postgraduate students and accompanying teachers who undertake stays for the purpose of study (not sightseeing)

c) Researchers from third countries travelling for the purpose of carrying out scientific research as defined in Recommendation No 2005/761/EC of the European Parliament and of the Council of 28 September 2005 to facilitate the issue by the Member States of uniform short-stay visas for researchers from third countries travelling within the Community for the purpose of carrying out scientific research

d) Representatives of non-profit organisations aged 25 years or less actively participating in seminars, conferences, sports, cultural or educational events organised by non-profit organisations

e) Holders of diplomatic and service passports


For more details, please see Consular Fees


Harmonised List of Supporting Documents for Uniform Schengen Visa

For your short-term Schengen visa application, please, provide the following documents either in English or in Czech:

1. Application form, filled in block letters in English with 1 recent passport photo (white background, 3.5 x 4cm) glued, not stapled, on it

2. Passport or travel document valid for at least 3 months after the intended date of departure from the territory of the Schengen Area or, in the case of several visits, after the last intended date of departure from the territory of the Schengen Area. It shall contain at least two blank pages and it shall have been issued within the previous 10 years. The Hong Kong / Macao stay permit must be valid after the intended date of arrival from Schengen area (if you do not have a permanent HK ID / Macao ID card)

3. Confirmed round trip airline ticket / booking

4. Proof of accommodation for the whole duration of the intended stay.

5.  Travel itinerary providing clear evidence of the applicant´s travel plans (transportation bookings, itinerary etc.)

6. Proof of financial means -  bank account statement for past 3 months in English (or duly translated into English) issued by the banks in Hong Kong and Macao AND proof of regular income; for ex.: an official letter from the employer stating the name of the employer, the name of the employee, his/her job title, annual/monthly salary, date of employment and, if relevant, the duration of his/her contract; OR proof of pension/insurance/rent payments. For students: a letter from the university/institution stating year of course/faculty etc.
Financial proof from bank accounts outside Hong Kong or Macao cannot be taken into consideration

7.  For minors under 18: parents must provide the birth certificate. For birth certificates issued in Mainland China: they need to be notarized, translated into  Czech and legalized by the competent Chinese F.A.O. and the Czech Embassy/Consulate. The parent not travelling with the minor needs to sign a consent letter in person.  The minor applicant has to come in person as well.

8. A letter from your employer confirming your leave (if applicable)

9. Guarantee letter by company (employer) with bank endorsement (if applicable)

10. Student identification / university cover letter (if applicable)

11. A letter of invitation from the person you are visiting in the Schengen area or from your business partner in the Schengen area or a confirmed hotel accommodation booking (whichever is applicable)

12. Travel/medical insurance (coverage EUR 30,000 and valid for the entire Schengen area for the duration of your stay)

13. Minor applicants must present their birth certificates and a written consent of their parents/legal guardians (application has to be submitted by parents/legal guardians, but the minor applicant has to come in person with them).

Further documents might be requested in individual cases.





Schengen Visa Form Czech 42 KB DOCX (FILE_TYPE_DOCX) Jul 14, 2022

Schengen Visa Form English 42 KB DOCX (FILE_TYPE_DOCX) Jul 14, 2022

Guide for exercising the right of access (PDF, 687 KB). 686 KB PDF (Adobe Acrobat document) Dec 29, 2014