česky  english 

Advanced search
Article notification Print Decrease font size Increase font size

Rules for entering the Czech Republic - tips for visitors

Malaysian passport holders are allowed to travel to the Czech Republic visa-free for up to 90 days.

All Covid-19 related protective measures were cancelled on 09. 04. 2022.

See the tips for visitors regarding duty-free shopping and vehicle driving below.

Should the planned stay exceeds 90 days (study/employment/family reunification) please apply for a long-term visa or residence permit at this Embassy or any other Czech Mission abroad.


Please note that if the purpose of stay is a gainful activity (work, employment) visa is required, even if the total length of stay is less than 90 days.

However, there are exemptions from this rule, pursuant to the Article 4, paragraph 2 of the Government regulation on establishing exemptions from the visa requirement and exemption from the visa requirement No. 78/2017 Coll., as amended:

For the purposes of exemption from the visa obligation, the following activities are not considered to be gainful activities:

a) performing artist, pedagogic worker, academic worker of a university, scientific, research or development worker who is a participant in a scientific meeting, a pupil or student under the age of 26, an athlete or a person who ensures the supply of goods or services in the Czech Republic or these goods delivers or carries out assembly on the basis of a commercial contract, or carries out warranty and repair work; performance of this activity on the territory of the Czech Republic may not exceed 7 consecutive calendar days or a total of 30 days in a calendar year,

b) a member of the rescue unit who provides assistance on the basis of an interstate agreement on mutual assistance in eliminating the consequences of accidents and natural disasters, and in cases of humanitarian aid,

c) an employee in international transport, if he is sent by his foreign employer to perform work on the territory of the Czech Republic,

d) persons accredited in the field of media,

e) military or civilian personnel of the armed forces of the sending state,

f) spiritual church and religious society registered in the Czech Republic,

g) a foreigner who is sent to the territory of the Czech Republic by his foreign employer on the basis of a contract with a Czech legal entity or natural person, exclusively for the purpose of improving the skills and qualifications of this foreigner needed to perform his work for this foreign employer outside the territory of the Czech Republic, or

h) persons traveling exclusively for the purpose of business negotiations in the territory of the Czech Republic.


Value Added Tax (VAT) refund for visitors - information about tax free shopping in Czechia.

How to receive a VAT refund:

1. Buy goods for more than 1,000 CZK (including VAT) in one day from a retailer marked by TAX REFUND sign.

2. Request the envelope, the VAT REFUND FORM and the receipt.

3. Have the VAT REFUND FORM filled out, indicating the VAT amount, and have it stamped by the retailer.

4. Have your VAT REFUND FORM validated at the border or at the airport by the Czech Customs Office. If you travel by train you must ask for a Customs Officer.

5. (a) Stop at any of the specialized collecting agency's refund office at the border and receive a cash refund; or (b) return home and mail your VAT forms and receipts to any of the specialized collecting agencies, requesting the refund (within 90 days from the day of purchase); or (c) keep all the forms and receipts and claim the refund with the same retailer during your next trip to the Czech Republic (within 90 days from the day of purchase).

Czech citizens or persons residing in Czechia cannot apply for the VAT refund.

For further information contact Customs Administration of the Czech Republic.


Driving in Czechia

Every person driving a motor vehicle in Czechia has to carry either a Czech driver's license or any international driver's license accepted in the Czech Republic.

International Driver's License

When visiting Czechia, you may drive a car if you are a holder of a Czech driver's license, other EU member country or Norway/Iceland/Switzerland/Liechtenstein issued driver's license, or a holder of a non EU-country driver's license that complies with the conditions specified in the Convention on Road Traffic (Vienna 1968). Otherwise, you will need an international driver's license that meets the requirements prescribed in either of the following international agreements:

• Agreement on Road Transportation signed in Geneva on September 19, 1949 (enclosure No. 10) 
• Agreement on Road Traffic signed in Vienna on November 8, 1968 (enclosure No. 6) 
• The EU Committee's Guidelines No. 91/439 of July 29, 1991, on driver's licenses 

For more information, visit the website of the Czech Ministry of Interior.

Motorway Tolls

There is a flat charge for using certain motorways and main roads in the Czech Republic. You need to purchase an Electronic Vignette. Cars from rental agencies usualy have the vignette already purchased.

The Main Road Regulations

• The general speed limits are as follow: 

  • highways and motorways: 130 km/h (aprox. 80 mph) 
  • roads: 90 km/h (aprox. 56 mph) 
  • residential areas: 50 km/h (aprox. 30 mph) 

• Except for small motorcycles, only persons 18 years of age and older can drive motor vehicles in Czechia.

• The use of safety belts is obligatory on all seats. The passenger in the front seat must not be younger 12 years of age. Children under 150cm and weighing less than 36kg must sit in a child safety seat.

• All motor vehicles must keep their road headlights on at night and day, all year round. 

• Driving under the influence of alcohol and other drugs (i.e. drugs and medicines) constitutes a crime with a possible punishment of up to one year in prison, a fine or a ban. Municipal police officers are entitled to require a breathalyzer tests from drivers suspected of driving under the influence of alcohol.

• The use of cellular telephones while driving is prohibited. However, the use of hands-free set (built-in or portable) is permitted. Use of smart navigation tools is permited without any limitation of functionalities.

• When passing and turning, it is necessary to use a turn signal. Passing is permitted on the left side only. Further, drivers must also signal when passing a cyclist.

• At roundabouts, drivers must signal only when changing lanes left and right and when leaving the roundabout.






Enjoy your stay in the Czech Republic!